Pages

Thursday 10 October 2013

Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo

Image from Goodreads
What a lovely book.  I wasn’t sure what to expect when I said I would review it but it really was a delight.  I know the illustrations were not all finished in the copy I had but they really made the story come alive and I looked forward to seeing them throughout.
We follow Flora and her incredible tale of life with a superhero squirrel, Ulysses.  Ulysses is made into a superhero by a rampant vacuum cleaner and in a heartbeat (literally) he can understand Flora and wants to be able to communicate with her.  As Flora has read The Illuminated Adventures of the Amazing Icandesto!, for years she doesn’t bat an eyelid at this turn of events.
Throw in a romantic novelist Mum, a slightly batty Dad, the boy next door who is temporarily blind and Tootie the lady who sucked Ulysses up in the vacuum and you get one hell of a charming novel.
And if that wasn’t enough Ulysses decides that he wants to write poetry and learns how to use a typewritter.
As I said a charming book that is enhanced by the illustrations that really captured my imagination and heart.
Reviewed for Emma at - http://www.bookangelbooktopia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment